The Road Safety Remuneration Tribunal (RSRT) is an independent national tribunal that has functions relating to the road transport industry.
The work of the RSRT can affect:
- road transport drivers (both employees and contractor drivers)
- employers or hirers of road transport drivers
- participants in the supply chain in relation to road transport drivers.
The RSRT’s functions include:
- making road safety remuneration orders
- approving and assisting with negotiations for road transport collective agreements
- dealing with certain disputes relating to road transport drivers, their employers or hirers, and participants in the supply chain
- conducting research into pay, conditions and related matters that could affect safety in the road transport industry.
- NEWS: RSRT publishes fourth annual work program
RSRO on minimum payments for contractor drivers issued
The Road Safety Remuneration Tribunal (the Tribunal) today issued a road safety remuneration order (RSRO) on minimum payments for contractor drivers.
The Contractor Driver Minimum Payments Road Safety Remuneration Order 2016 (2016 RSRO) will take effect from 4 April 2016 and will, for the first time, set national minimum payments for certain contractor drivers in the road transport industry, specifically drivers involved in:
- the distribution of goods destined for sale or hire by a supermarket chain, or
- long distance operations in the private road transport industry.
The order also imposes requirements on the hirers of those contractor drivers and participants in the supply chain.
The making of the 2016 RSRO comes after extensive consultation with interested parties on the issue of minimum payments for contractor drivers and the publication of a draft RSRO in August 2015.
The 2016 RSRO includes clauses regarding:
- minimum payments for a distribution operation
- minimum payments for a long distance operation
- unpaid leave
- supply chain contracts
- facilitative provisions
- promotion of orders, and
- dispute resolution.
To assist parties to calculate the correct minimum payments under the 2016 RSRO, the Tribunal will publish an online payments calculator on its website in early 2016.
- Contractor Driver Minimum Payments RSRO 2016 and accompanying Decision
- Decision summary
- Media release
18 December 2015